Monday, February 8, 2010

Double Digits!

I ran my 1st double digit mileage this past Saturday! 10 miles! I enjoyed the distance for the most part. The last 3 miles were a bit of a challenge, my knees and ankles were definately talking to me. The most enjoyable part was actually the last 3/4 mile. I just hit a grove, and sank into it. The breathing was not difficult, and the gate and posture felt incredibly comfortable, I felt like I could keep going for another mile or so...which was an extremely pleasant surprise because usually the last mile for me is a real mind over matter struggle! I realized that pace is the wrong motivational force for me at this point in my running - I am still relatively new to this way of life. It hasn't even been a whole year, and this is my first marathon, and marathon training! So, I have decided that it is more important for me to find a rhythm to my running that feels good, whatever the pace turns out being. I know that there will be runs that will feel like I should push harder, and moments with my running buddy that I will feel as though I was more of a hinderance that an addition. All that will have to be something that I learn to let go of and learn from for now. Perhaps a year from now, when I have more running time and races under my belt that type of view point will be my motivation. For now i have to remember that "it's not about winning, it's about finishing"; and that all by itself is an accomplishment to be proud of!!

I am proud of my mileage, and my persistant effort, regardless of "mind-blowing" pace. I am proud of the way this new lifestyle effects everything else that I do: the way I eat, sleep, socialize, and the stress relief it brings into my mind and body and soul!

Thank god I found a running buddy, because without her reliability, and subtle pushing to go farther, and push just a little longer or harder...I don't know that I would be as far along as I am. I do not kid myself by thinking that I am an elite athlete, or someone to contend with in the truly competitive runners world - yet! Someday comes to us all, and in it's own due time for each person. I am learning to take pride in the acccomplishments that are all mine, no matter how they stack up against anyone else's journey. I still take the time to seek grand motivation, and at the same time focus on the reality of my place in accomplishing my short term and long term goals. One day at a time is so much more fulfilling, than the unanswerable question of what will be in three months, 6 months, a year... etc.

So, I am feeling good right here, right now! and look forward to being prepared for the next challenge tomorrow...and take pride in the victories and learning from the mistakes.


I hope for joy and happiness for every person no matter where they may be on their personal journey!

Quote: "The long run is what puts the tiger in the cat."

B.

1 comment: